In This Section
The top layer of the skin is the dermis and in this uncomfortable condition it is this sensitive layer that is affected by inflammation. There is usually redness and itching and the skin may become very dry and will flake. The skin forms a physical barrier against deeper invasion of microorganisms and maintaining healthy skin is an important part of immunity. Dermatitis may have its origin in allergy or it may originate from deeper problems.
Direct contact dermatitis is remedied when the allergen is identified. Industrial products and cleaning products are common allergens, as is animal hair from livestock or domestic pets. Less usual is a malfunction of the sebaceous glands that causes greasy skin. Dermatitis herpetiformis causes a high degree of itching – this condition is associated with intestinal problems and disorders triggered by dairy products and wheat, and is particularly linked to gluten intolerance. It is important that a correct diagnosis of cause and type of dermatitis is made and some forms respond well under the guidance of a herbal practitioner. You can find practitioners at The Association of Master Herbalists and The College of Naturopathic Medicine.
Foods & herbs for the home
- The skin needs good levels of omega 3, 6 and 9 oils in the diet. A supplement of clean fish oil or flax seed oil plus using virgin olive oil in the daily diet can be helpful.
- Foods high in minerals and the entire range of B vitamins are found in Superfood Plus. It is also high in essential fatty acids and other omega oils.
- Avoid trans fatty acids found in processed foods, cakes, pastries and margarine as these can work against the essential omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids.
- If allergy is the root cause of dermatitis then start the process of gentle support for your immune system with ImmuGold Herbal Tea which will not overtax the system.
- Strengthen your digestion. If you are sensitive to certain foods, IntestAble Capsules may help – ask us for a free sample.
- Sensitive skin needs sensitive treatment; Lavender Skin Water gently protects the skin surface.
- For more information on skin care you can download for free "Marigold" by Jill Davies.
- Sweet Almond Oil is gentle and it forms a good base oil from which to make your own blends.
Additional help is available by phoning the free product advice line at Herbs Hands Healing between the hours of 9.00am to 1.00pm. Tel: 01379 608201.
If you would like to learn more about herbs and receive updates about our products and services please take the time to subscribe to our newsletters.
Learn more about Dr. Richard Schulze’s Superfood Plus and why we believe this is such a wonderful food by following this link on our website, where extensive information is available. Also please visit our Superfood Plus facebook page for articles and current news.
To learn more about natural healing for this and other ailments, visit Dr Schulze's blog.
If you would like to see videos of Jill Davies showing you plants growing in their natural settings and discussing their medicinal attributes then visit us on facebook. You can also explore additional herbs and their traditional uses by linking to Herbs Info & Photo Gallery and Herb Profiles. Useful additional information can also be found at the Herbs Hands Healing information pages on Detox & Cleansing and Natural Healing.