This familiar condition may have a fungal origin or be linked to nutritional deficiency, hormonal imbalance and other skin conditions. Most over the counter products have been developed to reduce the visibility of unsightly dandruff. Shampoos that achieve this form a chemical cap around the scalp. While this means skin cannot shed, it does not deal with the underlying trigger, which has to be investigated. Hormonal swings, diet and other skin conditions such as dermatitis and psoriasis are all addressed differently so shampoo is only a cosmetic and short term solution.
Foods & herbs for the home
- Deal with any yeast sensitivity including Candida albicans.
- Essential fatty acids have a profound effect on the scalp. Look for a good quality omega 3, 6 and 9 supplement that contains GLA (an omega 6 fatty acid from starflower or evening primrose oil). For non-vegetarians/vegans, the supplement should also contain fish oil (for the specific beneficial forms of omega 3). Ask your health food store to recommend a good quality product.
- Consume no coffee, tea, sugar and junk food because they rob the body of vital B vitamins and zinc, nutrients that are low in many people.
- Superfood Plus was developed by Dr Richard Schulze and is a food-based drink that is high in essential fatty acids, zinc and B vitamins. You can learn more about this nutritious product by exploring our Superfood Plus website.
- Shampoos that form a cap around the scalp may also block penetration of UVA. Essential oils found in Rosemary & Marshmallow Shampoo can effectively deal with any skin infection that may be an underlying cause of dandruff and do not block the healing effect of sunlight.
- Regular and intensive hair brushing using a natural bristle brush will stimulate the scalp and spread oil over the skin as well as remove scale build up.
- Dry skin needs extra support. A scalp massage using flax seed oil will be very beneficial as the skin rapidly absorbs oil. Wrap your head in a towel and allow the oil to penetrate before shampooing with a quality shampoo and finishing with Morning Rain Hair Water.
Additional help is available by phoning the free product advice line at Herbs Hands Healing between the hours of 9.00am to 1.00pm. Tel: 01379 608201.
If you would like to learn more about herbs and receive updates about our products and services please take the time to subscribe to our newsletters.
Learn more about Dr. Richard Schulze’s Superfood Plus and why we believe this is such a wonderful food by following this link on our website, where extensive information is available. Also please visit our Superfood Plus facebook page for articles and current news.
To learn more about natural healing for this and other ailments, visit Dr Schulze's blog.
If you would like to see videos of Jill Davies showing you plants growing in their natural settings and discussing their medicinal attributes then visit us on facebook. You can also explore additional herbs and their traditional uses by linking to Herbs Info & Photo Gallery and Herb Profiles. Useful additional information can also be found at the Herbs Hands Healing information pages on Detox & Cleansing and Natural Healing.